Thursday, November 14, 2013

Lifesaver Casserole


This is my "let's see what's in the fridge and make something delicious with it" casserole.  But since that's too long of a title, I just call it my Lifesaver Casserole.  (Note, there are no lifesavers in it.  Do they even make those anymore?)  It's great for using up leftovers too.  I will tell you what I used in this one, but you can really put anything in here you want.  Potatoes, carrots, celery, green beans, rice or no rice, any kind of meat...  I adapted my recipe from this Shipwreck Casserole Recipe by Deep South Dish.

Ingredients
  • 1-2lbs Ground Beef (And/or any other meat.  I also used left over Roast Beef this time)
  • Salt, Pepper, Garlic Salt, seasonings of choice
  • 1/2 - 1 Onion chopped
  • 1-2 large potatoes
  • Veggies of choice (celery, carrots, peppers, beans, etc) I used 1 red bell pepper and a few stalks of celery
  • 2 cups cooked rice (great way to use leftover rice!)
  • 2 large tomatoes, chopped (or cans of diced tomatoes or tomato soup)
  • 1 cup water
  • 1-2 tsp Italian Seasoning
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Directions
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  • Butter a 9 x 13 inch baking dish and set aside. 
  • Cook ground beef and season with salt, pepper and garlic if desired. 
  • Layer casserole with onions on the bottom, then potatoes; sprinkle lightly with seasoning salt, or salt and pepper. 
  • Top with vegetables of choice.
  • Top with cooked rice then the ground beef. 
  • In a blender, puree/blend tomatoes, water and Italian seasoning; pour evenly over the top. 
  • Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350 degrees for about 1 - 1 1/2 hours.
  • Remove cover and sprinkle with cheese.  Let cheese melt and serve!




No comments:

Post a Comment