Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Best Ever Not Quite Vegan Banana Bread - Whole Food-ified

Originally I found a recipe for Vegan Banana Bread, somewhere on the internet.  I of course edited it to make it a slightly healthier version.  Well, we've had some bananas sitting around getting way too ripe.  My husband had been begging me all weekend to make banana bread.  I didn't really want to, because I knew I couldn't eat any and still line up with my Whole Foods diet.  As I was getting ready to slice up the bananas and freeze them for smoothies, I thought to myself...  Why couldn't I just adjust the recipe, to better fit what I eat.  I pulled out the recipe and after looking at it for a few minutes, I figured it out!  So I quickly got to making the most delicious Whole Foodified Not Quite Vegan Banana Bread.  Now, don't get me wrong.  This really can't be considered a Whole Food.  But once you see the ingredients, you'll see why I feel comfortable calling it that.  And, unfortunately, adding the honey makes this no longer Vegan, but I'm sure one could substitute something else.


  • 1/4 cup Honey
  • 1/4 cup Fruit Juice (Homemade)
  • 1/2 cup Applesauce (Homemade)
  • 3 Bananas
  • Flour - 1 cup White & 1 cup Oatmeal (Homemade)
  • 2 tsp Baking Soda
  • 1 Apple, chopped
  • 1/4 cup Almond Milk (It is possible to make your own, I have not tried this... YET) mix with:
  • 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
  • 2 tsp Cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp Salt
That's it!  


Mix all ingredients together, pour into greased bread pan (I like to use 2 pan just because it bakes faster, but this is technically a recipe for 1 loaf of bread) (also, don't use Pam or any kind of cooking spray.  Have you checked the ingredients?  Use Butter, it works perfectly fine).

Bake in 350* oven for 45 minutes (if doing 2 small loaves) or 55-65 minutes (for 1 large loaf) or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.   

No comments:

Post a Comment